Your 'vagrant up' still works, vagrant will just complain it can't find the box anymore, but the VirtualBox image will start up fine.
- Locate where the Vagrant box from the URL is stored on your local machine. On Windows 7 it is C:/Users/ttlnews/.vagrant.d/boxes
At this location are all the base Vagrant boxes downloaded. So without any changes/provisioning made to them. The exact directory of the above ubuntu1404-desktop URL is: C:/Users/ttlnews/.vagrant.d/boxes/box-cutter-VAGRANTSLASH-ubuntu1404-desktop
- Create a zip of the deepest directory in there. In my case it I 7zipped all the files in C:/Users/ttlnews/.vagrant.d/boxes/box-cutter-VAGRANTSLASH-ubuntu1404-desktop/1.0.11/virtualbox So not the directory, just the files, like the box.ovf, metadata.json, *.vmdk, Vagrantfile. The resulting file was: box-cutter-VAGRANTSLASH-ubuntu1404-desktop.box.7z
This is what it should look like in the .7z file:
- Rename the file to box-cutter-VAGRANTSLASH-ubuntu1404-desktop.box.
- Put it in c:/tmp or wherever you want; make sure to change accordingly in the below steps.
- In the directory where you have your (already existing because you have created it successfully before from the now-defunct box URL) Vagrantfile add the following line below config.vm.box:
config.vm.box_url = "file:///c:/tmp/box-cutter-VAGRANTSLASH-ubuntu1404-desktop.box"
Tip 1: when testing this out, it's safer to copy your Vagrantfile + whatever else you had to a new directory, so you won't mess up your working Vagrant setup.
Tip 2: in that new setup from tip 1, also change the value of config.vm.box in the Vagrantfile, so you can clearly identify this new image.
- Run 'vagrant up' and you should see it copy (extract) the files, start a VirtualBox and start provisioning the box!